Hildebrand Clock no. 334, 1871. Mennonite Heritage Village 2013.8.1 (MC0223)
Made only a year after Mandtler clock MC0220, this clock tells the minute, chimes the hour, and tracks the date. It was made by Kornelius Hildebrand (1833–1920), who learned his trade under clockmakers Peter Lepp (1817–1871) and Gerhard Hamm (ca. 1818–1866). Hildebrand completed his apprenticeship in 1854 and proceeded to make clocks for almost 25 years. In 1878 Hildebrand embarked on a second career and, like Peter Lepp, went into the farm machinery business. Hildebrand did not abandon clockmaking completely, however; he made a clock for each of his children when they married.
Donated to Mennonite Heritage Village in Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada by Henry Wiebe in 2013. This clock belonged to the donor's father, Dietrich M. Wiebe, who had received it from his father.
Dietrich and his wife Helen immigrated to Steinbach, Manitoba, in the 1920s. They moved to Foam Lake, Saskatchewan, then back to Steinbach when Henry was four years old, eventually moving back to Saskatchewan.
Description Thirty-hour wall clock with pendulum and weight-driven movement, made by Kornelius Hildebrand (1833–1920) in Chortitza, Russian Empire (now Ukraine), in 1871, serial number 334. Arched dial with a raised chapter ring is pale blue with a single dark border around the perimeter. Arch has hand-painted decoration of a rose, rosebuds, and greenery. Spandrels are roses and greenery as well. Pale blue chapter ring with black Roman numerals. Inside chapter ring are painted Arabic numbers to denote the date; only every third number is written out, the rest of the numbers are represented by dots. Three hands; bell and calendar functions; rope drive; four weights.
Mennonite Clock Number MC0223
Object Name Hildebrand Clock
Date Created 1871
Serial Number 334
Mennonite Heritage Village Accession Number 2013.8.1
Maker Kornelius Hildebrand (1833–1920)
Location Made Chortitza, Chortitza Colony, Russian Empire (now Ukraine)
Dial Form Arched dial with raised chapter ring
Face Design Motifs Roses
Type of Hands Brass
Number of Hands 3
Other Markings 1871 KHDB N 334 (stamped on mechanism)
Height 46.5 cm Width 32.1 cm Depth 13.7 cm
Owner Mennonite Heritage Village